Saturday, September 16, 2006

Shelter Update 9 16 06

This week was not quite as chaotic as last and I followed all the rules this Saturday. Every one of my cages were closed today. However, I did have one close call with last week's escapee, Bertie, today she almost jumped out of her kennel while I tried to keep her kennel mate from escaping. Yikes, that would have had been bad news because she is about 5 lbs and recovery from surgery, poor thing.

Bertie (Escapee 2)


I did have a great session with her kennel mate, Boyd. First, he snuggled in my lap for the longest time and then we played with a chew toy in auditorium. OH he was fun, I love playing keep away from dogs, they're so cute when they're determined. He was a little mouthy but not nearly as biting as the lab mix Otter who I played with today. I have walked him before and he has been energetic but not quite as wound up as he was today. After we left the potty runs he went straight to the first toy bucket he saw and started pulling toy after toy out of the bucket and throwing them around the dog volunteer office area. I then gathered up all the toys he had thrown around and we went for a play session in the auditorium. He was pretty good at first but then he became really bitey and scratched my arms up a little. He didn't respond to my loud squeals of complaint. During our training we were told to squeal like you are hurt when a dog "mouths" you. Usually they stop and even seem a little alarmed by your reaction. Boyd reacted in that way but otter just kept jumping around. At that point, I took Otter back to kennel and wrote up a recommendation for him to be reevaluated to a higher color so they can work on improving this behavior.

Otter (Mr.Bitey)


Before I began volunteering with the Humane Society, I never thought I would worry about the bowel movements of a dog. But today I found myself fretting about such things. The first dog I walked today, a border collie mix named Domanique, did not go at all yesterday and she didn't this morning either. That can't be good. Although, she seemed healthy- runinng around and barking like crazy. That is weird though. I think I will send an email this week checking up on her.

Domanique

No comments: