Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Louisianan Weekend

This is the weekend where my personal blog and Mame's Americorp blog converge. On Mame's blog I discuss what her living arrangements, Americorp team and duties are like. Here I will just tell you silly stories about what we did and how great it was to see Mame. She looks adorable in her BDUs (Battle Dress Uniform) and her gvt issue combat boots. When we first arrived at her camp the three of us went on a hike around the bayou and made a little buddy. As I was talking to Mame she suddenly gasped and said oh and CornyT said hey little buddy. I thought they were hallucinating. What was in that Ozarka they drank? But sure enough there was a romping little puppy who wanted to go walking with us behind me. He was the cutest thing with a little tan head and a white body. We thought he looked a little like a floating puppy head. He didn't have the best manners though, he barked at other people on the trail and tried to chase cars that passed by. After he attempted to catch two pickups by the bumpers, I finally carried him for the rest of our walk because I didn't feel like starting the weekend with a smashed puppy. When I set him down in front of the place we first saw him we thought for sure he would run off to his campsite and we would be done wih him. But NO he insisted on following us all the way to Mamie's shed. This wasn't such a bad thing because her teammates were thrilled to see him. When we left the shed to go to dinner he was gone and we are just operating on the assumption that he found his people and is now safe back home. We won't think about the 'gator that may have munched on him or the pickup that may have treaded over him.
After walking we joined her entire gang for dinner at a restaurant in Livonia (near the camp) called Not Your Mamma's Place. The food was great and the service was slow. Pretty much like every restaurant in Louisiana. CornyT was intriqued by the funny name and found out from the waiter that there is another restaurant in LA called Your Mamma's Place and the brother of that restaurant's owner opened this one and thought it would be funny to call it Not Your Mamma's Place. Cute.
Out of the kindest of our hearts CornyT and I let Mamie sleep-in on an actual bed until about 10:00 AM on Saturday. We also didn't want her to feel left out so we kept sleeping as well:). After we pried ourselves out of the cool hotel room and braved the Louisiana heat we made both CT and Mame's dream of having a Waffle House breakfast a reality. I have had many a Waffle House hash brown and patty melt so it was old hat to me, but I it was yummilicious, cheap, and oh so bad for you. We spent the rest of the afternoon touring an old colonial Plantation and visiting the Baton Rouge museum. That evening we had a cajun dinner at Parrain's and watched Little Miss Sunshine. Mame and I loved the movie. We really related to the family; first they were from New Mexico (Albuquerque), second they had serious car troubles culminating in a intermintant, involuntary horn honking disaster which was particular poignant to Mame and I cause something very similar happen to the two of us once in my old Dodge Charger. Anyway, I highly recommend the movie- so funny, sweet, and a little sad.

No comments: