Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Belated Shelter Update

Now that I have exchanged links with the Bestest Blog people in an attempt to generate more traffic over here, I suppose I better actually write posts on a regular basis now. I am not sure if exchanging the link will actually attract more attention to the blog and most readers will probably be bored to tears by my ramblings (only family will tolerate paragraphs and paragraphs of my swooning over puppies, I am sure) I thought I would see what would happen. Anyway, that being said let me commence with the boring puppy yammering. This Saturday's morning at the shelter was not my most shining moment in volunteerism. If you remember, my training was only a month ago and much to my embarrassment I have already forgotten a lot of it. One key item that slipped my mind was to close the kennel doors after I removed a dog. Much to the chagrine of the hard working staff trying to clean the kennels, I left doors open right and left confusing the hell out of them. From what I can tell an open kennel door means the kennel needs be hosed down. So all my open doors meant they were hosing kennels twice and leaving no dry place for the dog to be returned. I found this all out when I tried to return Shags, a sweet, energetic Bearded Collie (a lot like a sheep dog) and asked the staff member, Emily where I could put him. She sternly told me I had to put him back in the wet cage because of my error and that next time I should bring him in from a closer door to prevent the other dogs from going berserk when I walk him next to their cages. I felt so bad for poor Shags having to sit in a wet kennel. To make matters worse, the next dog I decided to take out for a walk was a wiley Dachsund ( in a kennel with another dog- I should just stay away from dogs sharing kennels) who slipped from my grasp and went running through the kennel. Yep, my second escapee. Unfortunately, this time I wasn't so lucky and my bumblingness was found out. The speedy little dog went tearing through the room with me close behind, turned a corner and ran right into the irritated Emily who picked her up in one fluid motion and handed her to me. She simply shrugged when I explained she had slipped out of her leash and asked me to move out of her path. Ugh, well I was certainly not an exemplarly volunteer this week but there is always next week.

No comments: