Monday, September 18, 2006

Lazy Sunday and Babysitting

Yesterday it was a little overcast and dreary, so I did what I love doing most on a cloudy day and curled up in bed and read for a few hours. After I finally decided to get out of bed, we watched some TV and ate lunch at about 2. There are a ton of things I should have done around the house but it was so NICE to just read and relax. Next weekend, I will fix the caulking in the sun room and help CornyT chop down the thorny bushes growing on the side of the house. I wasn't completely lazy though, I did vacuum the house and I baby sat my friends 1 and 1/2 year old in the evening. A couple of weeks ago, while chatting with our friends with the little girl, it came up how little they get to watch movies much so I offered to babysit their adorable little girl when they needed someone. And boy did they take me up on the offer. Surprise, surprise:). It has been fun though cause the little girl is really easy to watch and we all had dinner together before they went out so it is a win-win for everybody. The baby is a big Momma's-girl and she was a little stressed about Momma leaving. Everytime she would go into a crying jag about Momma I would try to offer something to distract her like a popsicle or a her baby-doll but she would push it away and say "NO! Momma" once or twice. Eventually, I would do something really silly, like sing a song or do a little dance and she would forget about Momma for a while.

It is amazing how TV can be the best distractor though. I turned on the TV and she was immediately transfixed by the screen. Some reality show was on and she watched it like it was a Disney movie. I soon put on a Disney movie, Lady and the Tramp, because I didn't want her mind to be corrupted by reality TV:). Lady and the Tramp is cute but it gets a little old when you watch it twice in a row. Oh well it put her to sleep. Poor kid though, while she was sleeping CornyT came by - he had to do some work on his class, so he wasn't there for most of the babysitting- and I took the opportunity to use the restroom. While I was in the restroom she woke up and was apparently horrified to just see CornyT smiling down on her because she started screaming. It took another viewing of Lady and the Tramp to calm her down. CornyT felt kind of inept.

No comments: