Saturday, August 12, 2006

Doggie Saturday

Shadow
Butter (escapee)

This morning I got up bright and early and headed with great enthusiasm to the Humane Society. Luckily, when I got to the shelter I ran into the volunteer who trained me last week and she reminded me of some of the procedures so I didn't feel too lost. After she gave me a refresher and I had my sanitized leash ready I headed over to my first "green" dog kennel. A green dog is a dog suitable in temperment and behavior for a novice volunteer. Anyway, when I got to the green dog kennel there were two spunky dogs scampering in the kennel, one golden, fluffy collie-mix and a small, black lab. So, how do you get one dog on the leash and keep the other in kennel? Um well I am still working on that. Sure enough as soon as I got the black one, Shadow, on the leash his buddy, Butter, brok free and charged to the end of the hallway riling up every dog in the entire shelter it seemed. After, much coaxing with treats I eventually got Butter back into her kennel before anyone came back into the room to see me struggling to control the dogs. Later, I took a small shepherd mix named Faith who had a freak out in the hallway and refused to move for at least five minutes.

After Faith, I took Amelia, an eight month old dalmation/spaniel mix. She walked on the leash like a dream and I took her to the auditorium area to play ball for a while. She was a blast, she had a set system. We had two balls on the floor and as soon I threw one ball she would catch it, drop it next to the other ball, pick up that ball and bring that one back to me. So funny. After Amelia, I took the escapee, Butter, out for a walk around the auditorium and nice brushing. She looked so fluffy and shiny. Oh it was so much fun hanging out with the dogs and I already can't wait until next week.

Faith

Amelia

No comments: