Monday, November 27, 2006

Shelter Updates and Blue BRATT Saturday

Peaches
Jake
This weekend Jake, our longest resident in the shelter thus far, was adopted. His new family has already sent pictures and an update about how happy they are with him. Jake is a black lab mix with lots of energy and sweetnes. They are a very active family who have already gone hiking and fishing with Jake so it sounds like a great fit. Now the dog that has been at the shelter the longest is Peaches, and she will be our new featured dog. She is a sweet dog but a little lively in the kennel and tends to scare people off when they are looking at her. Hopefully, some extra exposure will get her adopted quickly.
This Saturday I snuck away from the house while CornyT and Mame were sleeping and did my morning shift with the doggies. The shelter was a little light on volunteers and I was the only blue BRATT their. I did feel like I was more helpful as a blue BRATT because there were a lot more blue dogs than green dogs. I tried to get as many dogs out as I could in the short 2 and 1/2 hours I was there. However, by the time I left a lot of dogs still needed to get out of the kennels. The whole time it was pretty obvious I was working with a different level of dogs. The most obvious difficult dog was Gypsy, a blonde, six-month old pitbull. She immediately tried to push her limits in the run, she jumped, nipped and ran around like crazy. She ran so much she kicked up a rock that flew back and went straight down her throat causing her to sputter- kind of funny in a sad way:). She was really getting out of control until I remembered another volunteer had walked in her space- kind of pushed her away without giving her any good attention. The results were amazing, she immediately stopped jumping on me and calmed down enough to get her leash on and get her back to the kennels.
The biting and excessive jumping is more of a yellow behavior and I won't be surprised if they do change her color.

4 comments:

Josh said...

Hey... I'm glad you were able to find a home for Jake. Good luck with Peaches... Take care.

Anonymous said...

I think that it's really awesome that you volunteer at an animal shelter. I'd really love to do something like that, though I'm not sure how to become a volunteer.

Josh said...

Hey... you're now on Gabbatha's VIP List... Feel Proud... Hahaha... Just kidding. Take care!

Angie said...

I do feel proud, thanks Velvet Cowboy. You are now finally added to my link list. I am a little slow.