Friday, October 20, 2006

Weekly Poem 2

I bet you thought I was going to forget to post a new poem this week. (shaking head) What me start something and not continue it...? pshaw Ok so it was close, I know but I did I find another poem. This is from Jane Kenyon a strong, imagistic poet who passed away from cancer in 1995. I have been reading her a lot lately because her voice and themes really resonate with me. really love how effortlessly she paints such tangible scenes that depict the details of life. I hope you enjoy this bold and vivid poem.

The Wash

All day the blanket snapped and swelled
on the line, roused by a hot spring wind.
From there it witnessed the first sparrow,
early flies lifting their sticky feet,
and a green haze on the south-sloping hills.
Clouds rose over the mountain. At dusk
I took the blanket in, and we slept,
restless, under its fragrant weight.

Jane Kenyon

No comments: