Friday, October 20, 2006

New Recipes



Oh how did it already become Friday? Whew this week went by fast and I have been so bad about posting too. I don't even have a good excuse. Last week I posted more frequently and I was a lot busier. Well I guess it helps to have something to write about. This week we just stayed at home and watched a lot of TV. Last night, I did make a really involved meal that took up a good junk of the night.

For the last month, CornyT and I have been playing a "game" where one of us makes a brand new recipe a week. So CornyT started the first week by making a Chicken Curry, the following week I made an Indian Chicken dish and CornyT followed up with a very yummy Chicken stew with artichokes. This week it was my turn. Since we had leftover cabbage from CornyT's scrumptious wonton soup I thought I would try my hand at Lebanese cabbage rolls.

Ah how I love the cabbage rolls my Aunt Rosie makes and I have not had them in so long. My version of the dish was merely mediocre. First, my cabbage rolls were more like cabbage pockets. When CornyT made the soup he had cut the head in half across rather than length-wise. This left me with stubby little leaves that I tried to patch together. Not that I am blaming him, how did he know I would need a big leaf. Anyway, this left me with a lot of extra filling that I kind of just shoved into the already overstuffed pockets. However, I cannot blame CornyT for the bland filling. Maybe I just spent too much time in NM and have an exaggerated need for spicy food, but I thought the rice and hamburger was just a little too mild. Next time I am going to add more tomato paste, garlic and onion. Hopefully, that will help. And anyway I don't remember Rosie's cabbage rolls being bland. What I did enjoy was the smell of the rice and meat mixture as I was cooking it. The moment I added cinnamon and cumin it just smelled liked middle eastern food. mmm yum yum.

No comments: