Sunday, October 08, 2006

Lazy Dogs and Foster Orientation

Jethro


Yesterday was the first Saturday of the month and as I was quickly reminded by the unusually full parking lot that means new volunteer orientation at the shelter. The volunteer orientation is held in the auditorium so no playing ball with the dogs but at least I could take them out for walks. There were more green volunteers than usual and only about 4 green dogs in the whole shelter. I am not sure why there were so many more volunteers but I had to walk one of the dogs twice because there just weren't a lot of dogs to walk. You would think that would make the dog happy but the one I took out twice, Breun , a little shepherd mix I think was very bored with me. The moment we got to the potty runs she hunkered down and would not get up for a good 15 minutes. I tried coaxing her with treats, calling her excitedly to the gate, and gently pulling on her leash and nothing worked. Everyone who saw her resisting me began to worry she was sick and I have to admit I worried she was sick too. Eventually she got up and we wondered off to the field where she was a little more energetic. I did however write down in the log books that she was so lethargic. The other two dogs I walked were Jethro, a very large and energetic dog that I think will be moved to blue because of his tendency to bite the leash and pull and Crash, a sweet basset hound that I think may also be a little sick though. Poor guy. After my regular volunteer shift I took the foster orientation. Now I will be able to help the shelter by temporarily taking care of dogs that for any reason can not stay in the shelter. I am looking forward to getting to bring a pup home soon and I think it will be good practice for Mike and I and for the cat to get used to pups around.

Breun (lazy bones)

No comments: