Thursday, October 12, 2006

Hubbard Street Dance


This evening Crishauna (my BBBS little sister) and I saw a performance of the Hubbard Street Dance Company. One of Crishauna's interests is dance and I thought that even though this might be "good" for her she also may actually like it. While we were waiting for the show to begin I aesked her if she had ever seen a ballet. She had and the symphony too. She fell asleep through all of them though. At the end of this show she was still awake. Score one for modern dance. I say modern dance but don't get me wrong this wasn't a bunch of morose artsy types enacting the mysteries of the human condition through variations of the Robot. No, along with the lush, fluid, and athletic movement this performance mixed the poignancy with a healthy portion of humor. The music was also modern and whimsical making the numbers more engaging than a typical dance troupe piece. Anyway, it was something fun to do with C and now that she is 13 it is getting harder and harder to find things she is interested in doing with me. It was also nice of UT to donate the tickets for the kids.

No comments: