Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Book Club and Other Reads VI

Friday night was book club at my friend and neighbor A's house. She lives only a block and a half away and I love that I can just walk to her house for book club. Her husband is so sweet, he always hangs around and chats with us and he gave me a flash light for my walk back because he was worried I would get hit by a car. Sweet. I didn't really need it though. They live in the cutest little purple house (the only purple house in our neighborhood for that matter) with a gigantic kitchen that I completely covet. When A and her husband moved in to the neighborhood they didn't hit it off very well with the bossy, overbearing neighbors. The neighbors presented them with a litany of things they didn't want them to do with the house but out of the goodness of their hearts said "oh we don't care what color you paint your house as long as you don't paint it a horrible color like purple." The next weekend her house was purple.
Book club was a lot of fun even though it was again a small turn out and I wasn't all that crazy about the book, One Writer's Beginning by Eudora Welty. I thought it was kind of boring and not really about writing but it was only 100 pages so I can't complain too much. I am looking forward to the next book The History of Love by Nicole Krause. Mostly, I am excited about this book because the other suggestions sounded so depressing (a book about racism in Texas and another about food production) that an easy modern fiction piece sounded fantastic!! Right now, I am reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. The recent movie Capote was based on his experiences while writing the book and I really wanted to read the book before I saw the movie and I finally found it in a used book store a couple of months ago. So far it is a real page turner. In fact I am going to rush over to my big hotel bed and read it as soon as I finish this post. I am in Maryland right now and will be here until Friday. I can't wait to get back to Tx though it is an obsece 55 degrees here. Yikes! In Austin it is 70 and I think on Friday it will be 81 ah now that is fall! Ok I do admit the autumn colors here are just breathtaking. I guess a little chilly weather is worth something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved In Cold Blood, I also read Summer's Crossing, very good. So far, Capote is by far the best writer I have read.
~G