Sunday, April 02, 2006

Spring is Springing

I never pay attention to whether or not the 21st of March has passed there are lots of other things that tell me spring is here: Asparagus and Strawberries in the grocery stores, wildflowers dotting the texas road sides, losing that hour of sleep, and of course bulbs blooming. This is the first year ever that a bulb I planted as popped up in my own yard! In November, a few nights before our first freeze, I hurriedly planted some daffodil bulbs in the dark, on the phone with my sister, before running off to a BBBS meeting. With the impending bad weather I wanted to make sure they got into the ground but I thought with the hasty way I planted them they would certainly not grow. Surely, planting such bulbs would require a lot of preparation and care that I just didn't put into the process. Well the other morning I was happily surpised; the first little daffodil popped into flower bed. Of course, if I fancy myself a gardener I just have to look over at my lawn with it's patchy brown spots and I shocked back into the reality of less than green thumb.


No comments: