Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Trip to the big D


This weekend was our friend's couple's wedding shower in Dallas as one of the many celebrations surrounding their wedding this summer. To celebrate the happy event they are having approximately three showers, one wedding ceremony in California, one wedding reception in Florida (a month later), and another reception in Dallas in December:). Whew wedding chaos. I don't envy all the planning and the negotiations they have to make. Anyway, we unfortunately won't be able to make the ceremony in CA but we are going to the Florida one and I was very excited to see them both in Dallas this weekend. Luckily, I was able to go with a close mutual friend of ours whose mother lives in Dallas- in a fabulous, rennovated old house I might add. So, my drive and my accomodations were covered. CornyT, unfortunately, was not able to make it because he has a tight deadline on his story-collection. He missed a great time though. We started the night off with yummy mexican food and great conversation, then we moved off for a few drinks at a local bar and finished the night in my friend's back yard overlooking a picturesque lake sipping great wine and playing fetch with the best golden retriever puppy ever. Oh little Della, she was so sweet. Now I am more than ever sold on gettiing a golden retriever. In fact, I am really glad that I spent time with her because it made me realize I really do enjoy being with dogs and I am not just infatuated with their cuteness. I really crave their company. The cat is just not satisfying my snuggling with a furry creature needs.



The last highlight of the trip was a quaint store outside of WACO called the Style Station. Picture a run-down 1940's era filling station meets a 2nd hand clothing store. It was definitely every hipster's dream; All the snappy shirts, cowboy boots, retro dresses, Pan Am bags, and custom clothes a cool Austinite could ask for. Oh and all for reasonable prices, I might add. None of that inflated to 50 billion dollars because it is "cool" crap. The only draw back for me at least that everything was about two sizes too big. Oh well it's probably good- could I really pull off a snappy shirt converted into a skirt along with a Pan Am bag? No, no I am too much of a nerd through and through. Well excuse me now Star Trek is on. :)

No comments: