Tuesday, May 09, 2006

School's Out for Summer, School's out for EVER


Well, maybe not for ever, we'll see about that. But for now the grades are in and Tuesday and Thursday nights are now mine again. (Not to mention weekends and early mornings.) I am as excited as a bulldog on a skateboard:)!! Oh how I have been looking forward to writing this post. In fact, every time some kid told me they couldn't find their paper, or they had to leave class early because they had diarrhea the Grand Funk Rail Road song - Oops not GFRR it is actually an Alice Cooper song, thanks anonymous poster and sorry Alice- referred to in this title played in my head.

Although, I do have to admit the end is a little bitter sweet. I will miss talking and working with them. They genuinely were nice kids. Last time I taught it felt a little silly to refer to my students as kids because most of them were only a year or two younger than me and some were even older. Not this time though. No, this time I was a good 10 to 12 years older than them and I could legitimately call them young whipper-snappers and tell them lots of stories about the fabled "business world". Last time I just made guesses about what went on in the "real world" this time I could equip them with accurate and useful information Or at least I hope. In graduate school, I would give my teaching a C- or a D. This time around I think I get a B-. Pretty good improvement I think. They have asked me if I wanted to teach again next semester if a spot is available at night and if there is I guess I will do it again. I am glutton for punishment and I liked the extra money.

Oh and by the way just to clarify the diarrhea excuse is by no means an embellishment. I really had someone tell me that. Kids!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that was an Alice Cooper song. Now I have it stuck in my head!!

Angie said...

Oh you are right anonymous poster. I think I was thinking of Smoking in the Boys room. That was GFR, right? I will edit this post right now.