Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Girl's Day Out


For some reason, I awoke at an ungodly hour on this, my last day of vacation. Maybe subconsciously I am trying to prolong this last day of relaxation. Anyway, I thought I should use this time constructively and catch up on the last week of blogging. A week ago, I arrived here in SD and spent the day with my Mom. We bought flowers, planted them and then visited my Grandparents. Such a nice day was followed by the long awaited spa day with my cousin. It is rare when you plan a day and it goes off without a hitch but this girl's day out with my cuz did it exactly that. Nothing got in the way; no unexpected emergencies to ruin our perfect little retreat. We started with coffee and chatting at a local cafe, then moved on to the local beauty school for a pedicure. For that one person who reads this blog and does not live in SD, I highly recommend finding a beauty school near you and getting your pedicures there. They are at least half the price of a regular spa and it is harder to mess a pedicure up then say a haircut. I had a fantastic student who gave the best leg massages do mine. Oh how I love pedicures. After the pedicure we had lunch at a local hotel. A dark little, almost cavernous eatery were I imagined all kinds of lunch time trysts have occurred. We gosipped about family and munched on clubs...mmm bacon. After lunch we had a little time to kill, so we browsed around down-town shops where I bought the cutest pair of bejeweled flip-flops for over 70% off. Like an old friend of mine used to say, "'70% off' is my favorite phrase!" After the shopping coupe, we headed to the Spa for the high-light of the day: an hour-long massage. If our day were a rock show, this massage would have been the headlining act! Ah it was amazing. She did this amazing face rub with her fore arms that was just so, so nice. I wish I could have another one right now. Like any good climatic event there must be a dénouement and ours was heading over for the very early happy hour at our favorite bar for a glass of wine/beer and lots of water. Yeah drinking after a massage isn't as fun as it sounds neither one of us actually finished our drinks. We felt too dehydrated and believe it or not beat. Relaxing is exhausting work.
As if this day was not great enough, I came home to my Mom making my very favorite meal in the world (vermicelli and rice) followed by a homemade rhubarb pie! How did I get so lucky to have such a wonderful family. As I write this I am so bummed I will be heading back home in just a couple of hours.

No comments: