Wednesday, December 07, 2005

"My Bad" makes the big time

Since this blog has kind of evolved into an eclectic collection of things that interest me ( cooking, crochet, cavorting in wigs and reading) I thought I would include language use, another of my interests, to the topics of discussion. Anyway, I just read on another blog that the term "My Bad" (as in whoops, it is my fault but so you won't be too mad at me I will use this silly, flippant slang. The author of the blog explained that phrase was originally heard in urban, pickup basketball games about 20 years ago but because the term was now used in an ivy league professor's lecture it has now finally hit the big time of American usage. Kind of funny how even phrases can have humble beginnings and work their way to prestige. Ugh I must be tired that was really silly. Anyway, the blog is at the link below and is kind of interesting and yeah supremely nerdy;).


http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002693.html#more

No comments: