Sunday, November 06, 2005

Crochet Girls

As a girl I recently met told me, "Austinites love Craig's list". Apparently some cities ignore the free want ads site but in Austin we use it to furnish our homes, get jobs, find dates and make friends from the once hippie list. and I am no different. I routinely peruse the site for furniture but have little luck in actually getting something. Apparently, my Craig's list bargaining skills need some improvement and I routinely lose out on the coveted armoire, lawnmower, or easy chair. But finally I have had a success on Craig's list.

A few days ago I decided to take a look at the groups section which I rarely do and found an ad orgainizing a crochet or knitting party written by an obviously upbeat, clever young woman who according to the hat she was wearing in the ad looked like she was a little more adept at crochet than me. Well, just finishing something makes her more adept than me. For the last two years I have attempted to make scarves and doilies on my own but it was hard to be confident about by progress without any experienced guidance. Mom taught me the basics when I would visit but I forgot the trickier things and it is hard to describe a crochet stitch over the phone. After signing up for two canceled crochet classes at the UT community education classes, I had given up on ever really furthering my crochet skills but when I saw Victoria's ad I was very excited that there were other people who wanted to crochet advise. The meeting was a blast we chatted and Victoria gave great instruction. I am looking forward to many more meetings and actually finishing a project. I will keep you all posted!!

No comments: