Saturday, July 22, 2006

2006 Florida Vacation Phase 1: The Wedding

OK I know it has been a long time since I have posted but I have a good excuse: Disney World has very limited internet access. I was a little frustrated by that but also kind of liked being cut off from reality. This post and the next will fill you all in on what I have been up to for the last week, because I am sure you have just been dying to know:). Unfortunately, there are no photos of the wedding because I was too lazy to pull my camera out while we were there but I did get lots of shots of Disney.

On Thursday July 13, CornyT and I arrived in Orlando Florida to begin our week-long Florida vacation. We rented a car at the Orlando (MCO) airport and drove to Jacksonville for our friends’ wedding celebration. We flew to Orlando because following the wedding we are meeting his family back in Orlando for a madcap four days in Disney.

Unfortunately, before we even got on the plane the trip was already a little stressful. The night before the flight, as we were packing, CornyT and I had a small disagreement about his wedding attire. The disagreement was the same squabble that couples have had for time immemorial, I am sure; I thought he should wear a suit, he thought he should wear khakis and a sports jacket. After a lot of bickering and phone calls to other wedding attendees, he decided to wear a suite that was not as fancy as his business pin-stripe suit (which I wanted him to wear) but appropriate for the occasion. This particular grey suit will forever be known as the compromise suit. And by the way at the reception he conceded and said that I was 100% right he would have been out of place in the more casual wear. Woo Hoo 1 for women everywhere;).

Once we got to Jacksonvilleand went to the wedding all the stress of the wardrobe war dissipated and we had a wonderful time with our friends. As soon as we got to town, we had dinner with the bride and groom and our little gang of buddies at a fabulous Thai restaurant and then spent the rest of the evening strolling along the beach and chatting.

The next day I spent the WHOLE day with my dear friend Aimee. That day alone was worth the price of the plane ticket. We bobbed in the Ocean and chatted, we lounged in the pool and hot tub with a few fruity drinks and chatted, and we concluded the whole day with a Heineken on her balcony while, yes you guessed it chatting. All the while our significant others were off writing and chatting at a cafĂ© (Starbucks). In the evening, we attended a “beach themed” dinner hosted by the groom’s family. The highlight of this event was the interpretive dance the groom’s sister performed to express the couple’s long relationship. When asked earlier in the evening if she were giving a toast, the sister replied “no I am doing an interpretive dance. We, of course, all thought she was joking. She wasn’t. She really did perform an interpretive dance depicting the major events in their relationship. Yes, very strange indeed but kind of oddly sweet as well.

After the dinner, all the “kids” hung out around the beach, drinking and talking and finally found our way back to the hotel at about 2 AM.The next morning I took part in a 10 AM Yoga class the bride arranged for all the guests. It was a really good class and a nice way to start my birthday. Yoga was followed by yummy omelets with all our friends and then swimming in the ocean and sipping margaritas. We then went to the reception where the bride’s father surprised me by announcing my birthday and another guest’s birthday at the beginning of the dinner. I thought it was so sweet of him to mention it and I was so surprised and touched that I didn’t know how to react so I stood up and did a silly little princess wave. I didn’t even realize I was doing it until CornyT whispered, “I like the wave.” Later the bride told me that her father was so relieved he could announce our birthdays because he didn't know what to say when he was handed the mic and he really didn't want to give a speech.

The reception was a blast. Lots of dancing and eating; actually I have to recommend having your birthday the same day as someone else’s wedding because it is such a good excuse to get all dressed up, eat great food, hang out with people in a festive mood, and dance the night away. Of course, that is if you like to do those things. Luckily, those are all some of my favorite things to do.

The next morning we all said our goodbyes at the brunch and CornyT and I headed off to Orlando to meet his parents at Mickey’s house.

No comments: