Thursday, January 26, 2006

Oooh la la

Well it certainly has been a while since I have written in here. EArlier this month I started teaching a business communication class at a local, private university, so it has been difficult to find time to write in here. Not only is the class and my day job keeping me busy, I also have a lot of Lost, Gilmore Girls, and Scrubs to watch every week. So, things like writing in the blog, yardwork, and shopping for a couch are on the proverbial back burner. However, I did make time last weekend to attend a Red Light Burlesque show with my sweetie and some of our friends. http://www.redlightburlesque.net/
Yeah I know it sounds raunchy but I was really intriqued. I don't think I had ever seen a pasty on anyone before and the whole twirling in opposite directions is absolutely inspiring. I don't know about you, but I can barely turn my hands in opposite directions at the same time, so the coordination involved in moving the girls in circles is frankly astonishing to me. Also, I have a fascination with vaudeville and burlesque show felt like a way to experience something from a by-gone era. Austin's ability to dig up these old forms of entertainment and infuse them with new hipness is something I really love about this place. The 1970's Rollerderby has found a very comfortable home here in Austin and created a whole bevy of buxom local celebs that even have their own reality show on UPN now. At least, I think it is UPN. I hear it is awful. Anyway, back to the burlesque. The show was a wholesome evening's entertainment with live music (a girl surf-rock band in pick teddies), stand-up comedy, and girls dressed as comic book heroines such as Poison Ivy, Wonder Woman, and Lady Death (yeah we hadn't heard of her either) doing cute little dances. My favorite was Poison Ivy who suggestively waved a pair of large paper fans around occasionally giving us a glimpse of her... well you know.
This weekend will just be a quiet one catching up on the ugh... yard work.

No comments: